Are you a keen saxophonist? If so do you know these 5 facts about this jazzy instrument:
- The saxophone is young in comparison to other instruments. It was only invented in 1846, making it less than 200 years old!
- The saxophone was invented by Belgian instrument maker Adolphe Sax. He wanted to create an instrument that would fill the vacant ground between woodwind and brass instruments.
- Despite being typically made of brass, the saxophone is part of the woodwind family because of the way the player produces the sound through the reed.
- Although most saxophones are made of brass, some are made from more precious metals such as bronze and silver.
- There are nine different types of saxophone but the four most commonly used are the Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Baritone.
Do you have any great saxophone facts we may have missed? Let us know in the comments!
To find out more about the different types of saxophone check out our post on The Different Types of Saxophone.